Thursday 27 September 2018

Nineteen Eighty-Four

Last Friday was the 65th anniversary of the broadcast of the first film version of Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. Eddie Albert is Winston and Canada's Lorne Greene (1915-1987) is O'Brien. 

The first Canadian edition of Nineteen Eight-Four was published in 1949 by S. J. Reginald Saunders of Toronto. I don't know when or if a Canadian paperback edition was published. Here are the first US and UK paperbacks plus a glimpse of a younger Lorne Greene at Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario.




Penguin 972 - 1954

Penguin 972 back

Signet 798 - July 1950

Signet 798 back

1 comment:

  1. I was fortunate to pick up a copy of the Saunders 1984 for a few dollars when I was in school (perhaps in 1984). The dust jacket is red. A friend bought one of the very same design in blue. I've often wondered which is the more common.

    I don't se that

    ReplyDelete