Sunday 18 June 2023

Star Weekly Novel Part IV

I've been able to find title/author information for 1460 Star Weekly Novels, 80% of the estimated 1880 published. So far I have identified the artwork on only 93 issues. There are 34 separate artists. Here are some examples.

Dance Without Music is illustrated by Mabel McDermott (?-?).  

Stranger in the Little House has an illustration by someone well known to readers of this blog - Harlequin cover artist Paul Anna Soik (1919-1999).

Where is Jenny Now? - art by American George Sottung (1927-1999). Here is more on this novel.

Star Weekly Complete Novel - December 3, 1960

Star Weekly Complete Novel - September 11, 1948

Star Weekly Complete Novel - January 11, 1958

4 comments:

  1. I do like the illustration for Where is Jenny Now? "FIRST PUBLICATION ANYWHERE," I note. I wonder if it's complete or - as often seems the case with the Star Weekly - edited to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have the book edition but based on a quick estimate of the words in the Star Weekly edition my guess is yes. I estimate around 35,000 words vs 50,000 - 60,000 words in a 200 page hardcover edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own a copy of the Herbert Jenkins edition. The page count is 192, with the actual text amounting to a dense186 pages. I estimate the word count to be 68,000. There are twenty-two chapters in total.

      That represents a lot of cutting, but nowhere near as much as Joan Walker's Repent at Leisure (Star Weekly, 5 October 1957, which had roughly 94,000 words when published by Ryerson.

      Incidentally, I read Where is Jenny Now? several years back, thinking that it might make it as a Ricochet title. Sadly, it turned out to be one of her weaker titles. If interested, my review is on the Canadian Notes & Queries website.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I've only seen a couple of issues that state the story has been cut. I have already updated the post with a link to you're review.

      Delete