Friday 14 June 2024

Early Harlequin Mystery Artist Solved

In 2012 I discussed an artist who signed an early Harlequin Books cover with his signature - "LPH". I also noted two other books with his work that are not signed. I've finally identified the artist as Lawren P. Harris (1910-1994). The key new information is an auction site which lists one of his works with an identical signature.

Harris is the son of a much better known painter, Lawren Harris (1885-1970), one of the Group of Seven.


Harlequin 72 - September 1950


Harlequin 57 - June 1950

Harlequin 62 - July 1950

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the excellent detective work in discovering the name of this artist! I run a blog that reviews and discusses 20th-century romance novels, and cover art is a crucial component of my content. I'm always eager to learn about new artists, so I appreciate you sharing this information about Lawren Phillips Harris.

    A book buddy of mine is currently working on a book focused on cover artists for category romance novels. This detail you've provided may prove quite helpful for her research. With your permission, I would be happy to pass along your information so that she can properly cite you as a source.

    I was also working on a rather ambitious book about the history of romance cover art, from 18th-century penny dreadfuls to the present digital era of cartoon covers and everything in between.

    Unfortunately, life and bad health have gotten in the way and I don't knwo if I'll be able to finish it. Still, I love researching paperback artists and passing on information to other cover aficionados.

    So, thanks again for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqueline:

    Thanks for writing. Glad that you enjoyed my detective work. Always fun to figure these things out. Sure, please give my info to your friend. Hope it's useful.

    Best of luck with your project. All of us know how these things can be derailed from time to time. Love to hear about when you finish.

    ReplyDelete